What is stormwater?
Stormwater means any rainwater and meltwater, as well as drainage water from buildings’ foundations. The quantity of stormwater is particularly large in the spring when the snow begins to melt, in the summer during a downpour and during the rainy season in autumn.
The City of Kajaani takes care of the stormwater on the streets and in the parks in its zoned area. Properties are responsible for taking care of any stormwater in their plots, also in the partition ditches between properties.
In most cases, properties can choose to join the sewer network for stormwater if they want to. To join, new customers need to apply for a minor works permit from the Building Control Department (In Finnish).
The documents that need to be attached to the application for a minor works permit include, for example:
- site plans drawn up by a designer that show the location of the rainwater and drain pipe networks and their gullies and collars
- the planning information provided by the city on the stormwater drainage system for the plot’s sewer drain, or a statement on the connection point of an existing sewer for the plot’s stormwater
- application for conducting stormwater away
The City of Kajaani will charge a one-time payment for the sewer drain for stormwater when connecting it to the network
- single-family houses €1,200 (incl. 24% VAT) and
- other buildings €3.60 per m2 of floor area; however, no less than €1,200 (incl. 24% VAT)
In addition, you will be charged a fee for the processing of the minor works permit in accordance with the Building Control Department’s current price list (In Finnish).
If the owner decides not to connect the property to the stormwater drainage system, they are responsible for dealing with any stormwater on their own plot in such a way that it causes no harm or damage to the adjoining properties or street area. On request, the owner must be able to prove to a representative of the Building Control Department that this is being done. A minor works permit is almost always required for the reorganisation of a property’s stormwater, even if the owner decides not to connect the property to the city’s stormwater drainage system.
What should I do in a problem situation?
Problems with stormwater drainage are included in the Kajaanin Vesi municipal water management enterprise’s 24-hour on-call system. Report urgent infrastructure failures at 044 710 0100.