The roots of Kaukametsä College go back to 1920, when Kajaani Civic Centre began operations. Teaching activities were abolished in 1932.
The civic centre established in the rural municipality of Kajaani in 1971 became the civic college of the city of Kajaani in connection with the association of municipalities in 1977.
The college moved to its current premises in 1987, when the name was also changed to Kaukametsä Civic Centre. This is how the whole Kaukametsä area got its name.