You are here

Julkiset veistokset ja muistomerkit

Begging hands
Paltaniemi, Paltaniemi church yard, Paltaniementie 851
Une Pihlman, 1967
Set up in memory of the ones succumbed to hunger during The Famine 1866-1868.

Sun Dial
Suvantorannanpuisto, Koulukatu 10
Osmo Rimpiläinen, 2001
The sun dial works only on sunny days and from March equinox to September equinox.

Eino Leino
Rantapuisto, Brahenkatu 1
Alpo ja Nina Sailo, 1980
Armas Einar Leopold Lönnbohm, poet Eino Leino, was born on 6th of July 1878 in Paltaniemi.
He lived his childhood in Hövelö, today known as the village of Paltaniemi.

Elias Lönnrot
Rantapuisto, Brahenkatu 5
A sculpture by Mauno Oittinen was unveiled in 1942 (on pedestal 1940).
The idea was to erect the sculpture in 1940, 100th anniversary of Kanteletar, a collection of Finnish folk poetry, but the outbreak of the Winter War delayed the plan. The memorial was then set up while the Continuation War was still raging on.

Elias Lönnrot worked in Kajaani as district physician from 1833 to 1853 and travelled from Kajaani to his poetry collecting tours. In Kajaani he wrote the preface for Kalevala, the national epic of Finland, in 1835.
This is the very first memorial erected in honour of one individual in Kajaani and the whole of Kainuu.

Refugee stone
Orthodox Church yard, Kirkkokatu 17
In memory of Karelian refugees and their long journey, unveiled 1991.
The stone is of red granite extracted from Mursula in Impilahti.

Grave memorial
War grave, 1997, Kirkkopuisto, Kirkkokatu 19
A total of 34 soldiers who died in Pirttijärvi the battle 13.3.1942 are buried in the war grave. The deceased found in Russia were brought back and buried in their home cemetery.

Memorial to Heikki Savolainen
Rantapuisto, Brahenkatu 1
Artist Professor Matti Koskela, 2007
Heikki Savolainen participated Olympic Games five times winning a total of nine medals. In the Olympic Games in Helsinki in 1952 he took the Olympic Oath.

Memorial to Herman Renfors
Kruununpuodinmäki, close to Välikatu 24, 2007
Dedicated to the first industrial entrepreneur in Kajaani, Herman Renfors (1849-1928).

The most famous resident in Kajaani in his time, started industrial production of fishing equipment in 1872. Later, Renfors factories and workshops manufactured for instance buttons and skis. Herman Renfors was also involved in fur and leather trade.
He turned Kajaani into an international tourist resort.
Herman Renfors and his sister were well-known as avid photographers of the old Kajaani.
The memorial of Herman Renfors exhibits Renfors Devon lure designed by Artist Antero Laine. The relief on the pedestal is by Artist Jukka Nissinen.
Local entrepreneurs shared the expenses for the monument.

Lord’s Angel
Kajaanin Old Cemetery, Jauhokalliontie 1 a.
Arvo Siikamäki, 2005.
The angel, cast in bronze, stands over 2 metres tall.
The piece of art refers to the Gospel of Matthew and the moment when the angel descends from the Heavens and rolls back the stone off the entrance of the grave of Jesus.

Silent Days
Suvantorannanpuisto, Koulukatu 10.
Harry Kivijärvi, 1981, abstract sculpture in diorite.
The city of Kajaani acquired the sculpture in 1985.

Farewell
Kirkkopuisto, Kirkkokatu 19.
Artist Jooseppi Manninen, 1955.
The memorial is 2.3 metres tall and its pedestal 1.5 metres.
In memory of soldiers who died for their country in the Winter and Continuation Wars 1939-1944.

The Kannel of Ilmatar
Kaukametsä yard, Jokikatu 5.
Artist Professor Matti Koskela, 2009.

Memorial to the infantrymen, the jaegers
Close to the lock-keeper’s cottage, Kalkkisillantie.
Ensio Seppänen, 1983.
A sculpture given by Vuohenki Foundation to the City of Kajaani.
More than 40 men left Kainuu to join jaegers. The eastern passage for jaegers passed through Kajaani to Halla in Hyrynsalmi.
The legend in the memorial: Jaeger movement in Finland 1915 to 1918, for independent Finland.

Kajaani rural municipality memorial stone
Teppana, Ilmarintie 4
Erkki Vähämaa with two students of architecture
Kajaani rural municipality and the City of Kajaani were incorporated in 1977.
The legend in the stone: Kajaani rural municipality, 1976.

Kajaani I Kedge
Tar boat canal, Kalkkisillantie, 1975.
Unofficial but a visible and significant anchor memorial to the anchor handling tug era of Kajaani Oy. When the famous passenger ship Salo II was transferred to Kajaani Oy’s possession, it was turned into a tugboat and renamed Kajaani I. Kajaani I was used as an anchor handling tug in the 1950’s. Later, the ship was sold to Forester Jaakko Ebeling.
The barrier around the memorial is actually the anchor chain.

Kalevala memorial stone
Paltaniemi, Paltaniemi church yard, Paltaniementie 851.
Erected on Deputy Assistant Under-Secretary Väinö Kaukonen’s initiative in 1985.
The stone symbolises the connections between Kainuu and Karjala. The stone is a natural stone from Kostomuksha.
The memorial legend says: Elias Lönnrot lived in Hövelö in Paltaniemi in 1834.  At that time the Kalevala epic was created.

Memorial to the decedents remaining in Karelia
Kirkkopuisto, Kirkkokatu 19.
Set up in 1955, in memory of decedents remaining in Karelia
Project by Karelians in Kajaani, Sotkamo and Paltamo The idea for the memorial stone was the Karelian Association model designed by Kirsti Liimatainen.

Kekkonen reliefs

On the wall of the school building where Urho Kekkonen was a pupil, Väinämöisenkatu 22
Crafted by Matti Koskela, 1975
Urho Kekkonen entered the second grade in 1911 and passed his final tests in 1919 Kajaani co-educational school, later Kajaani co-educational lyceum.

On the wall of Urho Kekkonen’s home, Kalliokatu 7
A relief by Matti Hynynen 1980.
Urho Kekkonen lived in the building from 1911 to 1926, it was built in 1906.

Construction 92
Suvantorannanpuisto, Koulukatu 10.
A sculpture by Matti Kujasalo, painted iron, 1992.
Association of Finnish Sculptors and Kajaani Art Museum exhibition “Sculptures in Kainuu” was carried out in eight municipalities in Kainuu in 1992 and 1993. In the project, the artists were free to determine the location of their sculptures.

Paper totem – eight layouts
The former grounds of Kainuun Sanomat, local newspaper, premises, Viestitie 2.
Artist Professor Matti Koskela, 1998.
Kainuun Sanomat 80th anniversary present to the surrounding region.

Louis Sparre memorial stone
Ämmäkoskenranta, Kalkkisillantie.
Kainuun Museoyhdistys ry pystytti 50-vuotisjuhlassaan, 1980.
Erected by Kainuu Museum Association for their 50th anniversary in 1980.
Louis Sparre lived in Kajaani at Pyörre Farm from 1892 to 1894. He described the lives of people in Kainuu during the tar producing period.

Memorial to the soldiers of the Soviet Union
Kajaani Old Cemetery, Jauhokalliontie 1 a
On the grave of 27 Soviet soldiers.

Pietari Brahe
Market Square, Urho Kekkosen katu 14.
Sculptor Yrjö Liipola, 1954.
Pietari Brahe founded Kajaani in 1651. The sculpture was formerly in the Central school in Kruunupuodinmäki, but was erected in the Market Square in 1976.
The marketplace was refurbished for its 325 anniversary.

The Anchor of the Northern Military Engineers
Lies downstream of the tar canal, Kalkkisillantie.
It was placed in its current location by the Northern Military Engineers when the brigade was transferred from Oulu to Kajaani 25.9.1998.
The military engineer battalion took the anchor formerly attached to a rock with them and carried it out through the Hiukkavaara barrack gates in Oulu. The anchor was mounted onto a rock downriver of Ämmänkoski as the symbol of disembarkation of the battalion.

On the Way to Logging
In front of Restaurant Wanha kerho (former UPM club house)
A bronze sculpture presented by Sculptor Emil Cedercreutz Foundation, the pedestal was a gift from UPM Kajaani Works. Kajaani is the northernmost location of the artist’s works.
In honour of Kainuu forestry and tree-harvesting. The twin to the On the Way to Logging sculpture, Timber Floater, is in Heinola.

The Driller Boy
By the railway station building.
The Driller Boy statue sculptured by Matti Lahtinen was unveiled on 3.6.2004, on Kajaani railway track’s 100th anniversary.
It is a sculpture of a 16-year-old boy, who took drill bits to a smith’s workshop for sharpening and then back to the railway construction site for the track builders. The statue is sculpted from a Pikkarala Station platform kerbstone.

The memory stone of border jaeger battalion
In front of the border control headquarters, Rajakatu 9.
The memory stone of the 8th border jaeger battalion was erected by Kajaani Border Guards Guild and The Tradition Association of the 8th Border Jaeger Battalion.

Cross and Flame
Paltaniemi, Kirkkoniemi, Pappilanniementie 240.
Armas Tirronen, 1967.
Memorial to the second and third church (1599-1716) in Paltamo Congregation. The second church was damaged in an earthquake in 1626 and the third during the Great Wreath when Russians robbed it and burned it down in 1716.

Convoy
Kauppapiha (the yard between Department Store Anttilan and Kaakinen), Kauppakatu 5.
Armas Hutri, 1971. Seven storks cast in bronze.
In memory of traders who came from the East, however, according to other information, in memory of the first inhabitants of the town.

War Memorial in Paltamo Cemetery
Paltaniemi, next to the church, Paltaniementie 851.
Log memorial. In memory of Paltaniemi soldiers.

Soldier Boy Memorial
Veteraanipuisto, Sammonkatu 16.
Erected by Kainuu Soldier Boy Tradition Guild in memory of their operations, 2004.

Greeting
Kajaani Old Cemetery, Jauhokalliontie 1 a.
Hannele Kylänpää, 2005.
Cast in bronze, the memorial is for the most fragile amongst us – unborn and stillborn babies.

Future
Vapaudenpuisto, Kaupunginlammen ranta, close to Tehdaskatu.
Kalervo Kallio, 1957.
Memorial to the soldiers who worked for Kajaani Oy and died in the past wars.

Tuuliportti: Moments of Joy
On the Art Museum roof, Pohjolankatu 31.
Antti Maasalo, 1987.

Empty Grave
Paltaniemi Cemetery, close to the Capel of Light, Siltalantie 18.
Arvo Siikamäki, 1999. Sculptured in granite.

Sound of Hungarians Memorial
Kaukametsä grounds, Koskikatu 3.
Antal Krupiczerin sculpture, 1991.
The sculpture is 10 metres tall and weighs 5 tons. It is sculpted in 500-year-old oak. Not only did the artist sculpt the wooden parts but also cast the bell.
Kajaani twin town, Nyiregyhaza in Hungary gave the sculpture as a present on the 10th anniversary of twin town operation in 1991.

Urho Kekkonen Memorial Suuri Aika - Grand Time
Urho Kekkonen Park (the strip between the Lutheran and Orthodox Churches), by Kirkkokatu 18.
Pekka Kauhanen, 1990.
Cast in bronze, 8 metres in height. The sculpture is the first national monument erected for a Finnish President outside Helsinki. Unveiled in 3.9.1990, on the 90th anniversary of Urho Kekkonen’s birth.

New Era
On the strip of land next to the theatre building, Kauppakatu 14, 2001.
Cast by a local sculptor, Kaarlo Mikkonen
The bronze statue was made in honour of the women in the 1940's who during the war and the reconstruction that followed did so much and worked so hard at home.

Memorial to those who died for their beliefs
Kajaani Old Cemetery, Jauhokalliontie 1 a
Memorial to those who died for their beliefs in 1918.

Finnish Civil War Memorial
Kirkkopuisto, Kirkkokatu 19.
Granit Oy, 1921.
Erected by the White Guards as a memorial to those who died in the Finnish Civil War in 1918.

War Veteran Memorial
Veteraanipuisto, Sammonkatu 16.
Designed by Erkki Vähämaa, 1990
Erected by Finnish Veteran Organisations in memory of war veterans.

Last updated date

2017/09/18