You are here
The oldest building in Kajaani city centre is the old city hall, built in 1831, by the Old City Hall Square. It is a good example of empire style, which was well represented in the town still in the end of the 19th century.
Kajaani was a town of wooden houses until the end of 1030’s. Most of the town centre was destroyed in Winter War bombings, however, and after the war, rebuilding gave the town a new face. Examples of architecture of old wooden houses are still found for example around Kajaani Church and Kalliokatu.
The most important buildings of wooden architecture are the church designed by Jacob Ahrenberg in 1896, Kajaani Railway Station designed by Gustaf Nyström in 1905 and the Kajaani Town Theatre building constructed by Messrs Nikander and Piirainen.
Many of buildings in the centre of town were designed in functionalistic style. Very often they were the creation of Architect Eino Pitkänen (1904-1955) who moved into town in 1932. Kajaani Art Museum, actually the former police station (1935), Restaurant Sirius (1941) by the river was earlier the paper mill director’s house called Koskikara, Dipper in English, and many of the commercial and private buildings in Kauppakatu riverbank side are but few examples of Eino Pitkänen’s exquisite design. The former police house in the photo.
Kajaani City Library (1985) is an elegant piece of modern-day architecture designed by Seppo Valjus as is Kaukametsä Culture and Congress Centre housing the community college (1987), concert hall (1988) and conservatoire (1997). The complex was designed by Sinikka Kouvo and Erkki Partanen.